Friday, June 12, 2009

All leading up to another day of lonely contemplations









I thought I'd include more pictures in this one. Just so you can see the stuff I was looking at on Wednesday's walk down to the brook. ^^

I'm alone again today so brace yourself for another LONG blog. haha . ^^ Tuck in, mates.

Yesterday I got to meet one of Ben's infamous friends: DMAN. Darren aka D-man is one of Ben's closer friends. I've heard Ben talk about a few friends on a daily basis: Adam, Morg, Issy, Louise, Emalie, Vid (Robert Vidler), and DMAN. So, check two on meeting 'the friends'(first was Adam haha).

Now, those of you who know me and know about the mini solo show I wrote in Adventures in Acting 2 years ago will remember that I wrote about DMAN and Vid. I think the description I gave them was this:
"Then in walks the Anti-Christ and his little demon monkey. Robert Vidler, The Anti Christ, 19 years old, drinks like a sailor and swares like one too. DMan-the demon monkey. not the brightest crayon in the set and drinks more than vid does."

That was my introduction to those two characters. I think I go on to describe how they walk over to the table in the pub where Ben and I were (fictionally, in my solo piece) and 'plop' next to me saying stuff like "who's this then?" and "oooh American, huh?"

Well, my real introduction to DMAN was thus....Ben and I were in his "hang out room" watching TV, waiting for DMAN to come over. We hear the dogs barking, and yesp, through the door came DMAN. He came and plopped right next to me on the couch. hahah He actually plopped. Funny coincidences. He and Ben made little chit chat here and there...Dman starring at the TV and Ben and I looking between him and the TV occasionally.

Dman right off the bat gave me like a HUNDRED negs. The way he sat, the way he looked around, the way he said things, acted. There was loads of signs. oh! Negs...I don't know if you guys know what I'm talking about when I say negs. I should explian. So when I say negs, I mean shrugs offs. Ya know if you ever want to like bring someone's ego down you pay them a reverse compliment or something? or like a mild insult....like saying 'only in your dreams' when someone's being braggadocios about certain things. right, well if you not with me at this point I can't be bothered to go on. ANYWAYS! Dman kept doing that. it was rather funny and embarrassing at times, but I got him back a fair few times throughout the day so I feel good about that.

Ya see, I have to get to know someone's 'game' before I pull out my wit. I still haven't figured out Chris' game. I know Adams. I know Bens. Now I know Dmans. I also know that violence will work to a certain point with him---he has an abusive girlfriend evidentally. But in the 'oooh I like that' sort of way. I'm pretty sure deep down Dman is a masochist which is really funny and TMI at times. haha

I don't know....I guess DMAN is cool enough. He really is a dumbass at times. Talks like one and acts like one....and that's only knowing him a DAY. I mean....think of how much worse he can be….yeah we’ll get there.

Anyway, we went out with Dman to go shopping. Yeah, this kid is SO pathetically cute. He’s like a little puppy or a little kid that needs mummy to hold his hand everywhere he goes. He calls up Russ (Ben) so that he can go shopping and find snacks and stuff for his trip to Devon. We kept wandering up and down the isles of the super market having Dman ask “Russ, what do I need?” “I dunno Dman.” Me: *Laughing* He SERIOUSLY asked Ben what he needed for his trip and what he likes…as if he couldn’t think for himself. It’s kinda cute and kinda pathetic at the same time. Aw…poor sod.

So yeah….we went around with Dman in the super market…then we went to the ‘Petrol’ Station across the street to fill up the car. Dman’s cap broke so he had to buy another one and his hands were all oily from fiddling around with the car. I had my purse with me with my never ending supply of nifty things. I had wet and dry little towelettes so when Dman got back in the car and was looking around for something to wipe his hands with I said sarcastically, “You need some help there Dman? Something to wipe your hands with maybe?”

He shyly said, “yeah, well if you have somfin….” I pulled out the wet ones and gave one to him….after that, he softened up to me and the negs were more playful and less harsh. So, hopefully, I rubbed him the right way so that he’s cool with me now and not harbouring resentment for whatever reason--stealing his friend or being American…whatever.
Something that I learned from hanging out with the boys in and about town...here, the drinking age is WAY lower...that much is true, but what I haven't heard is that when you go to the market they check EVERYONE's ID, not just the buyer. So even though Dman was buying his food and cider(which was the alcohol that they needs to check ID for) the cashier had to check mine and Ben's IDs as well just because we were in line with Dman. That's really interesting, cause whenever I've been out with friends...I don't drink, but still I like going to the store and watching people argue over which brand of beer to buy...there's a whole trail of like 6 of us that some are clearly underage and the cashier only checks the ID of the buyer. THAT to me is funny.

Other stuff I've learned/discovered theses past few days:
-The UK has a product called Lynx, which is the UK equivilant to our Axe Body Spray/wash line of products.
-Ben hates Sheep, hates health food like granola bars (or at least he shutters at them), (I already knew he hates) hates strawberries, hates his picture being taken...especially when his hair isn't perfect, he's a really good friend to his mates, and he's a good kisser *winks*.
-American DVDs do NOT work over here....at least not in gaming consols (I think it's a PS3?)
-Until I started typing today's blog I haven't picked up my Ipod to listen to it At ALL! Which is amazing for me since I'm perminantely attached to my ipod. I have to have some sort of music to listen to almost 24/7...I even sleep to music! Nope, not here. I guess the natural and excitement of being here is my natural music. I haven't had to listen to it. I've always had a song in my heart for England and it's playing loud and clear now.
-I walk walking down from the stairs to go join Ben in his Hnag Out Room and I passed Ben's Mum, and brother, Richard in the kitchen. I don't know yet if Richard was just smiling being nice or checking me out in my sundress. haha It was sunny so I wore my tank-topped black sundress. I laughed at even the possibility of Ben's older brother checking me out, but I don't know Richard's character too well yet to tell. haha *sigh* good times.

There's one more thing I've observed, but it's kind of a personal thing. And internal monologue type of things, so don't think too highly into anything. This is for those who want to know how the love life part of me being here is like. So here it is, and I'll sign off with this:

Some of you know that I've had a major jones (for lack of a better term) for a lad back home, a Wes S, as it were. Well, I thought about it for a while and I figured if there was ever a chance of Wes liking me back, well that'd be amazing. Then there's the whole thing of Ben and Me--also amazing, expecially the fact that he likes me the way I like him and doesn't pull up the 'friend' barrier like Wes does.

Well I was talking to Ben yesterday about Ex's and something came up that made me think alot. It made me realize that internally Ben and I are SO MUCH alike. I'll tell you what I mean....
Well, just like I've had this long-term crush on Wes, but we've always remained friends first and foremost, Ben's had a long-term crush on his best mate Emalie. Evidentally he liked Emalie for a long time, even though Dman dating her, after that didn't work Ben waited the appropriate amount of time for Dman to get over the break up to tell Em that he liked her. Well, by the time Ben told her, she'd already got another boyfriend and it seemed like Ben and her would never work out so Ben's in the friend zone as well.

I asked Ben, "If Emalie was single and it came down to it...who would you choose: Emalie or Me?" Now, when girls give guys this questions, there's usually one right answer and one right answer only: 'You'; and I could tell that Ben was hesitant on telling the truth for fear of the girl whiplash that might be unleashed on him if he gave the 'wrong' answer. I really, REALLY only wanted the truth (honestly, that's all I want...no whiplash unleashed, no right or wrong answers) so I told ben, "There is no right or wrong Answer. I just want to know the straight-up truth. her or Me?"

Ben said, "Probably Emalie" and he cutely tried to cover his tracks just in case, but I didn't care. That's all I wanted to know. He continued saying, "Because I've known her for a long time and stuff."

Honestly, I think if Wes didn't put me in the friend zone for eternity and mutaully liked me, I would choose him over Ben too. It'd be a DAMN GOOD close race, but still. I thought about it for a LONG time while I was falling alseep and I came up with that answer. If it came down to Ben and Wes(wes being able, willing and loving of me as much as Ben is)....I would choose Wes.

The reasons are numerous and I have my own little imaginative ways of telling if I could last a life time with a person (just like Lilly's "Porch test" in the TV show 'How I Met Your Mother'), but that's another day and another time for those explinations...and I would gladly share them to the right people if they ask. hehe...the pros and cons of Ben vs. Wes. And interesting concept. #

Goodnight America. You've been a great crowd.

No comments: