Friday, May 15, 2020

Another Nostalgic blog

Carrying on with the theme of finding old pictures/videos that haven't seen the light of day in years. I present to you more moments from my past:

The first car I ever bought. Second hand 1999 Mustang with a crappy body kit for $1000. I named her Vera, because (...like Jane's gun from firefly) 'She is my very favourite'.

The first time I took Rob to see Rocky Horror Picture Show shadowcast in LA. I took his Rocky Horror virginity and got to draw V for virgin in lipstick on his face. LOL

One of me and Shelby Bond from Ren Faire. He's a comedian/entertainer that I first saw at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Southern California and I fell in love. :) Every Ren faire I looked foreward to seeing his act at Faire, and I even made it to LA for some of his comedy nights. Cute, funny, and talented. Fun fact-He knows how to crack a bull whip! If that's not enough to inspire you to check out his stuff,  I dunno what is. Currently he's been doing some funny videos on Youtube about COVID:

Seriously, check out his stuff. www.youtube.com/shelbybond



 Throwback to 14 year old me in New York City for the first time. Obsessed with Broadway, I had to take a picture of me pointing at the sign. Dear lord....why did I ever think red capri bottoms were a good idea?

 This is a character I made up one year when  was invited to a Halloween party last minute and had 'nothing cool to wear'. I donned black boots, black leggings, a black button down shirt and a black waistcoat I had in my costume box of random shit and a dark brown wig. Then I put a whole bunch of gothy makeup on (heavy eyeliner, dark lips, and bleeding black cracks from the eyes), picked up my pocket watch so I could fiddle with the chain, and walked around carrying a silver lighter, flicking that open and closed while death glaring everyone. It sound lame now, but I named it 'Fear Incarnate' and I felt like a total badass.


Throwback now to 2011-my last concert in LA before I moved to England....
Btw...for a shitty little Nokia phone, I think I got some good pictures. 
I saw My Chemical Romance on their 'Kill Joys' tour, so I made up a killjoy character. I thought about what I'd wear if I was in that post apocalyptic type world potrayed in the album/music videos. a bit of fun, a bit of rebel, and a whole lot of colour to keep light and hopeful with still having some slight nods to classic My Chemical Romance 'emo' style. My favourite part of this outfit was the plectrum jewelry that I made & the bottle cap braclet that my friend Taub made me( all of which went straight into my bag when I went inside so they wouldn't get bashed about and lost in the pit). 

This was before...

This was after....
Sweating everywhere. Makeup sweated off, and I did end up loosing my headscarf in the crowd. By the way, That little half jacket I'm wearing I made as well--well, I embellished. I took an old men's blue collar work shirt that I found from the Goodwill (thrift shop), sewed on the leather patch, studs, rope, etc and cut it up a bit. It was meant to be part of a Corey Feldman dressed as Michael Jackson inspired costume but I never did anything else with it.   




Speaking of Music and musicians, this one will stay with me for a long time. The time and time again I got to hang out with my favourite band, The City Drive:


But dear lord help me. In hindsight I was so jailbait. I was only 16, a sophmore in highschool and absolutely in love with these four men...yes men. They were adults in a cool LA street band and I was this little teenage girl that idolized them. ( Yikes. Sorry Danny, Mark, Scotty, and Chris.)


I went to every LA gig I could (with my or a friends parents of course) and followed them around like a lost little puppy. Looking back at it now it was so cringe, but I felt on top of the world. I supported this band through and through. I was always at the front of the stage taking pictures and singing the lyrics. I stayed after every show I went to to talk to the guys and just hang out and chat. They were my everything at 16.





The highlight for me was that I won a contest with my friend Kiki to go bowling with them and we got to know the guys better. We bowled, we talked, took pictures, played arcade games. My dad even took a picture of the four guys in the bowling Alley that later they used on their official page.
 Unfortunately for my little teenage heart, they did disband, but for a period of time they were my whole world. And actually because of this band and with the help of Myspace, I was put on the path that lead me to where I am today as cheesy as that sounds. I followed and commented on their fanpage on Myspace. Through that fan page I met an English guy named Ben, and ended up coming over to England in 2009 which is when I met my future husband, Rob. If I hadn't been a fan of The City Drive so passionately, I wouldn't have flown to England to met this guy. And I would never have met his friend Rob. SO, Thank you Mark, Danny, Chris, & Scotty for exsisting- without you, who knows where my life would be right now. 
Although most of them have moved on with their lives, as have I, I still speak to Scotty on occasion when he's working on new music and wants to get the word out. If you want to check him out his current musical venture is called 'Lido Beach' with Waldman Management. 





1 comment:

The Mcclellan's said...

Aww so cute. Love all the old photos.