Thursday, January 6, 2011

SCORE! at the book store

Last night was quite bad; James couldn’t get to sleep because he had an asthma attack which kept him up all night, and his inhaler ran out. So, in the morning his mum called the hospital pharmacy to set up a pick-up time for a new inhaler.

We had a nice lay in, then took a walk down to the dam with Tilly.

We got around to picking up his inhaler around 3pm, then went out with James Sr. to help him pick out a watch for Harry's 18th Birthday, which is tomorrow. It's sort of the Vidler family tradition that when a son turns 18 he gets a nice watch for his birthday.

After getting Harry's watch and a birthday card, we went to Costa and had some coffee (hot chocolate for me), and a nice chat. I think James Sr. is getting more comfortable with me; James thinks so too because James Sr. pokes fun at me like he does with all his sons.

After that, we stayed in town for a bit longer and James took me to one of the second hand book shops. I got some goooooood stuff: a one-act play in french called "La Grammaire" dated 1936; A copy of Moby Dick from 1953; The oldest copy of Shakespeare's "Hamlet" that I've ever seen, with a preface dated 1871 and publishing year in Roman Numerals--M DCCC XC (which I think is 1890); and a Tusitala Second Edition of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped" dated 1924. All of the books I have I was drawn to by their old bindings, but who knew they'd date so old. It's quite fascinating.

All the time we spent in the book store brought us to about 5:30pm. So, we headed home, got petrol on the way and then chilled out until dinner. During dinner James got a little cross with me because he doesn't like it when I don't take his side. Harry and James were fighting over Harry's decision to sell his car, get a new one so his insurance would go down. James kept lecturing Harry on what a bad idea it was (and when they argue in this house, even just slightly, it sounds like massive yelling….no one can keep their temper down), so I stepped in and told James "You're not his dad and It's Harry's decision. You can't play father all the time. Just cool down…."

James didn't like that so he left the table and wouldn't speak to me. So, after a while of cooling down, we went out to the cinema in Newport(Wales) like we planned, to see The Tourist. Pretty good film, I'd say.

Well, now we're back home and I'm tried. ttyl

No comments: