Wednesday, May 6, 2020

My First Mother's Day (gifts)

Today I received two packages from my mother...one for me and one for little mush mush man. The first to arrive was a 'Happy First Mother's Day. You're the best mummy xx' baby grow for him to wear. The second was a delivery of flowers for me.

And they both came just in time for American Mothers Day (British Mothers Day was in March...don't ask me why there are two dates for this).



I had this realization in March, but I still haven't gotten used to the idea yet. Like many of the other mothers out there, I now get to celebrate Mothers day ever year...as a mother. It still feels foreign to me. I realize that I am a mother, and that I have a beautiful, healthy, baby boy --I can't exactly forget that when he's starring me down 12 of the 24 hours a day -- but something is still so surreal about it.

I mean...once a day, or at least once every other day, I find myself starring lovingly at this beautiful angel and thinking "How the £*%& did you come out of my vagina!?" and "I'm so glad I don't have to try pushing you out now. Look at the SIZE of you!"

In all seriousness...i do wonder how i birthed this child. It's one of those facts that still baffle me and until i think back and try to remember every detail, it almost seems like a dream because i can't remember how it felt being in the hospital. But then thinking hard the details come flooding back to me and I remember, 'oh yeah I did do that...weiiiiird.'

Other mums -- Does that strange sort of surreal feeling ever go away?

No comments: