Saturday, February 27, 2021

Positive Affirmations

I was talking the other day about positive affirmations. I think its a wonderful thing to be able to bolster oneself up by looking in the mirror and saying positive things about one's life. I however cannot for the life of me, stand in a mirror and say things and expect them to be true. I have a very hard time forcing myself to believe in things that i innately think are untrue. And its also hard for me to look at myself, past the flaws that my overly scrutinising self sees to focus on the good things about myself. 


I do however have an alternative way of incorporating positive affirmations into my life. Ive always found deep comfort in Lyrics. So alot of songs that i listen to end up becoming my comforting sayings to build myself up. It acts much in the same way i think affirmations do, getting that warm glow or positive feeling to carry on with the day. A motivational trigger that helps one soilder on in the darkest of times or the most mudane of days. 

Alot of the times, lyrics become my affirmation after it triggers a feeling within me after a certain event in my life. Sometimes the power of the lyric itself is enough to make it one of my affirmations. 

At the worst of times i can be a pretty pessimistic person by default so it takes alot for me to self motivate. The power of music and lyrics helps me spin my attitude into positive thinking and self empowerment. 

Just to share some of my lyrical affirmations: 

MUSE - Uprising

They will not force us
They will stop degrading us
They will not control us
We will be victorious


HAMILTON(MUSICAL) - My Shot

"Hey yo, I'm just like my country I'm young, scrappy and hungry and I'm not throwin' away my shot...

"The problem is I got a lot of brains but no polish I gotta holler just to be heard with every word, I drop knowledge I'm a diamond in the rough, a shiny piece of coal tryna reach my goal my power of speech, unimpeachable...

"I'm past patiently waitin' I'm passionately smashin' every expectation every action's an act of creation..."


JESSI - Drip

Fuckin' wit no bitch
Don't act like you know me
You funny with money honey
Don't act like a poor bitch
I'm sick of all these fakes (Fakes)
I'm sick of all these phonies
Everybody same
They be lame
They be clonin' 
Ay, who you think you frontin' on?
All you little kiddies run along
I ain't goin' anywhere
Ah y'all can kiss my derrière


ED SHEERAN -You Need Me, I Dont Need You (Chorus)

You need me man I dont need you
You need me man I dont need you
You need me man I dont need you at all


STARSHIP (A StarKid Musical)

Who wants to be like the rest
And deny the best that I'm meant for?
I will show the status quo, 
who cares about normal?
I'll never conform
I will be content to resent the status quo.
I kick down the walls around me
They don't know how strong I am
I'm not defined by boundaries
They could never understand
I'm so much more than status quo


No comments: